• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition to AOS Leadership on the Recent Decision to Change all Eponymous Bird Names (5 Viewers)

I think the big problem is just trying to come up with a single, 'official' name, you can have 1000's of columns in excel so there's no real need for it.

There's actually quite a few Maori names which are used internationally & are the 'official' English name - Kea, Kakapo, Kaka, Kiwi, Kokako, Weka etc. and many others are being used colloquially more & more. But yep, it would be weird in, say a list of species of shearwater of the world to have Titi or Rako thrown in there but if you added another column I don't see why you couldn't.

Are you proposing a document with a column for EVERY, language? As I said, if there was an active and thriving community of indigenous birders in any country, a dual list might be useful and practical but that's not the reality is it? What you'll get, as I said before, is a small group of people, wanting to make a statement, what stops the production of an exclusively Maori or Hawaiian list for speakers of that language?

What, when someone comes along and wants names in some Native American language, where do we stop because, if we don't stop, you can't call it an 'English' name list'?

People might argue and with some justification in my opinion, that 'they' are not Hawaiians or Maoris and want to use English names? The problem will be that people who want names in English, even though that is the stated intention and mandate of the list makers will get called xenophobes by a small number and the same arguments will ensue.
You'll just have to find some non-white people who were involved in the genocide of white people or the taking of their land, destruction of their culture & language, kept white people as slaves & never looked at a bird in their lives but somebody thought they should have a bird named after them! 😁
Let's not forget that not every name on the list are of questionable character but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water. An argument has been put forward that each case be weighed on it's own merits but that's not good enough for some. So that's that then, zero eopnyms and I'll never see my 'Wonder Warbler'.

Let's not forget that not every name on the list are of questionable character but you want to throw the baby out with the bath water. An argument has been put forward that each case be weighed on it's own merits but that's not good enough for some. So that's that then, zero eopnyms and I'll never see my 'Wonder Warbler'.

A Bird called Wonder?

Never going to happen, or perhaps they could bring John Cleese and Jamie Lee Curtis back. A tale of murder, lust, greed, revenge, and gratuitous eponyms ...

An allusion to the film A Fish Called Wanda.

MV5BNTQ0ODhiNjEtMDFiYi00NmZhLWJkMzQtNTBkOGQwOTliZDAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back