• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron A Real Alternative To The Top European Brands ! (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
It’s been almost 4 weeks since I had the opportunity to handle Opticron’s DBA VHD + 8x42 binocular and because they left me with such a positive overall opinion of their performance, I ordered a pair a few days ago. They arrived yesterday and they did not disappoint. This is the second pair of the DBA VHD I have owned, the first pair being the first generation. Now having said this, this is not meant to be a review but a shoutout to those who are looking for a really good MIJ Midlevel binocular. They are easy to carry ... small for a 8x42 and on the light side. Price wise they can be purchased for very reasonable prices compared to the current midlevel European Brands. Here in the states I have seen prices as low as $685. I have included a picture of the DBA VHD + 8x42 as well as my DBA VHD + 8x42 monocular. When I thought Opticron could not get any better, they now have a new line out that is supposed to be a step up from the DBA + , the Aurora VHD. ..... I am not currently and have never been associated with Opticron in any way, just a customer who has never been disappointed with any of Opticron’s products when it comes to their Quality to price ratio.

Attachments

• 27A82B06-16F5-43FD-93E7-A7847C082585.jpeg
    27A82B06-16F5-43FD-93E7-A7847C082585.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Nice.
How would you describe/quantify the improvements of the VHD+ compared to the VHD you are familiar with? Specs-wise they're very close (as in the same FOV, for example). Is the difference noticeable in terms of brightness/contrast/sharpness/pop/etc. Thanks for any insight.

Nice.
How would you describe/quantify the improvements of the VHD+ compared to the VHD you are familiar with? Specs-wise they're very close (as in the same FOV, for example). Is the difference noticeable in terms of brightness/contrast/sharpness/pop/etc. Thanks for any insight.
Hi Iban. ... Before I started thinking about selling my first generation DBA VHD 8x42 binoculars, I remembered what Pete at Opticron said about the DBA VHD + ....... some small incremental improvement in their coating’s and probably will not be noticeable but when I first put the Opticron DBA VHD + 8x42 to my eyes I remember thinking that the contrast seem a little nicer as well as the view seemed a little cleaner then the first generation DBA VHD 8x42 I owned. Also the overall black rubber armor appearance of the DBA VHD + 8x42 I received last week really stood out as having a richer(darker appearance). Mechanically everything is just right, from the focus wheel/hinge to the right tension with eye cups clicking in place firmly with no play. I do not know who Opticron’s manufacturing source is but it is apparent Opticron did make some changes to their original version of their DBA VHD binoculars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough answer, it sounds really very nice. I was simply amazed by the Vixen Artes J I bought from you... and remember reading how you thought the original Opticron DBA VHD had an edge over the Vixen, which sharpness and contrast I found just superb. So to think that another step in the same direction of richer contrast and cleaner view... pheeew, now I can completely understand your title to this thread. If only it had 0,3-0,5 º FOV more. But then we'll probably be talking about a 4 digit sum. And then, although S/Z/L (Meopta) repair services are well known and deserve praise, I just received my scope and eyepiece back from Opticron and their work is also praiseworthy.
Keep us posted on your sensations about the DBA VHD+ as you use it more. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the thorough answer, it sounds really very nice. I was simply amazed by the Vixen Artes J I bought from you... and remember reading how you thought the original Opticron DBA VHD had an edge over the Vixen, which sharpness and contrast I found just superb. So to think that another step in the same direction of richer contrast and cleaner view... pheeew, now I can completely understand your title to this thread. If only it had 0,3-0,5 º FOV more. But then we'll probably be talking about a 4 digit sum. And then, although S/Z/L (Meopta) repair services are well known and deserve praise, I just received my scope and eyepiece back from Opticron and their work is also praiseworthy.
Keep us posted on your sensations about the DBA VHD+ as you use it more. Enjoy!!
Your Welcome and yes the Vixen Artes J 8x42 are a really nice binocular.

I’ve always had great experiences with Opticron products, and they consistently punch well above their price point with seemingly better than average quality control compared to other inexpensive, outsourced brands.

I do wish they still had some premium MiJ mid-sized models, the Verano and Countryman 8x32 HD models were both terrific glass with 8 degree FOV and good handling. They don’t have anything comparable today; their best 8x32 seems to be the Traveler ED, which is very good, but not at the level of those older models in terms of build quality or internal blackening / glare control.

I’ve always had great experiences with Opticron products, and they consistently punch well above their price point with seemingly better than average quality control compared to other inexpensive, outsourced brands.

I do wish they still had some premium MiJ mid-sized models, the Verano and Countryman 8x32 HD models were both terrific glass with 8 degree FOV and good handling. They don’t have anything comparable today; their best 8x32 seems to be the Traveler ED, which is very good, but not at the level of those older models in terms of build quality or internal blackening / glare control.
Yes I totally agree. In the 32mm size I wish Opticron would have go in the same direction they took with their top two flagship models , the VHD + and now their Aurora VHD 42mm class binoculars.

Yes I totally agree. In the 32mm size I wish Opticron would have go in the same direction they took with their top two flagship models , the VHD + and now their Aurora VHD 42mm class binoculars.
Yes, it's a pity that Pete confirmed the company has no plans for a 32mm based on the small dimensions of the new Aurora. A Japanese HD 32mm would be very competitive in that price range.

It’s been almost 4 weeks since I had the opportunity to handle Opticron’s DBA VHD + 8x42 binocular and because they left me with such a positive overall opinion of their performance, I ordered a pair a few days ago. They arrived yesterday and they did not disappoint. This is the second pair of the DBA VHD I have owned, the first pair being the first generation. Now having said this, this is not meant to be a review but a shoutout to those who are looking for a really good MIJ Midlevel binocular. They are easy to carry ... small for a 8x42 and on the light side. Price wise they can be purchased for very reasonable prices compared to the current midlevel European Brands. Here in the states I have seen prices as low as $685. I have included a picture of the DBA VHD + 8x42 as well as my DBA VHD + 8x42 monocular. When I thought Opticron could not get any better, they now have a new line out that is supposed to be a step up from the DBA + , the Aurora VHD. ..... I am not currently and have never been associated with Opticron in any way, just a customer who has never been disappointed with any of Opticron’s products when it comes to their Quality to price ratio.
A member was curious about what I thought about the DBA VHD + monocular portability and length. I have added a few pictures of Opticron’s DBA VHD monocular in a easy nice protective fit in this compact waist/carry case instead of Opticron’s case.

Attachments

• B9B135BF-8946-4E3F-991E-89F01D49A11D.jpeg
    B9B135BF-8946-4E3F-991E-89F01D49A11D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 467E1C67-5DAD-4C20-9644-6322636A65E3.jpeg
    467E1C67-5DAD-4C20-9644-6322636A65E3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 9185F0EC-C4E9-443D-8874-05D5EB3CAA04.jpeg
    9185F0EC-C4E9-443D-8874-05D5EB3CAA04.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 27B411D1-12F2-475B-85B7-043D6B2A5525.jpeg
    27B411D1-12F2-475B-85B7-043D6B2A5525.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
This soft padded case with what I believe is leather on the outside comes with a shoulder carry strap as well as on its backside a belt loop for carry. It’s got the logo Pentax on the front. These came up for sale as my memory recalls years back I believe on Ebay, when a member tips us all off here. They were really discounted at a really low price, only a few bucks apiece shipped so I purchased two. I used them to store eyepieces til I stopped using a spotting scope. These are a perfect size for Opticron’s 42mm size objective DBA VHD + line of monoculars and give just the right padded protection.

Attachments

• 4B8A4492-FCA7-426F-9A3B-4FEF4E464006.jpeg
    4B8A4492-FCA7-426F-9A3B-4FEF4E464006.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 8168D1C1-2BCF-4330-9E50-08696373341D.jpeg
    8168D1C1-2BCF-4330-9E50-08696373341D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 952B1D8E-91A9-4833-9817-7A6DC1DB65B9.jpeg
    952B1D8E-91A9-4833-9817-7A6DC1DB65B9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Like already said on this thread Opticron, in the UK, at least, have always been good value for money and worth recommending to others

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back