• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking like I'll be coming to Kenya (1 Viewer)

travellingbirder

Next year one of the trips I am looking at for myself and my wife is 10 days birding in Kenya. The problem is I keep reading on trip reports of muggings and such like, especially in Nairobi and this worries the other half.

We have travelled around the world and are street wise as to what we wear and how to behave but Kenya does appear to get really bad press to there "hot spots"

How safe is the country please, honest answers are very welcome...

Was there this year for organised safari and beach holiday and found the people very welcoming. I think warnings about Nairobi are fairly justified and I didn't go out of the hotel except for a paid for tour to the elephant sanctuary (worth it and some good birds). Elsewhere I found people generally very friendly (but didn't visit Mombassa - went further up the coast to Turtle Bay where the people were especially kind and friendly). Many people stayed in the hotel but I enjoyed walking round and meeting people.

Ken

I've been numerous times and never had any problems worse than overly persistent porters. I have heard some pretty awful stories though (some from BF members). If anything I actually found people more friendly after the political unrest of last year. Just taking some common precautions should keep you out of trouble. I usually avoid the larger cities all together when possible. Nairobi NP does have some great birding though.
Are you looking at going on an organized tour or doing it on your own? Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers,
Benji

I had no trouble at all in Kenya, but I was with Kenyans who advised us what we could and couldn't do. I found Nairobi to be a truly hideous place and Lonely Planet calls it the most dangerous city in Africa and my Kenyan friends said they could quite believe it. But as Benji says, Nairobi NP is excellent and the road south to Magadi was probably the best day's birding I've ever had.

If you follow local advice, you should be fine and Kenya is a fantastic country with the best birding I've ever experienced. I'd go back in an instant if I had the opportunity.

E

I have lived in Kenya for 16 years and have never had a problem although I know of some who have had . Nairobi centre is not safe nor Mombasa . As long as you stay away from these centres you should be ok . Are you doing a tour with anyone, as that is the best way . We have some excellent guides who know where not to go .
I have had some excellent trips out over the last few years and regularly visit Nairobi National Park , last visit 2 weeks ago with my daughter and friends . Its very dry at the moment as is the whole country , we are in a mega drought and need good rains due any time now .

defintiely a great place to come , but be careful .

Mike D in Nairobi

Next year one of the trips I am looking at for myself and my wife is 10 days birding in Kenya. The problem is I keep reading on trip reports of muggings and such like, especially in Nairobi and this worries the other half.

We have travelled around the world and are street wise as to what we wear and how to behave but Kenya does appear to get really bad press to there "hot spots"

How safe is the country please, honest answers are very welcome...

All of the advice given so far is sound. Nairobi city is to be avoided but the NP is excellent. Extra caution needs to be taken nowadays in travelling to and from the airport and you should arrange all of this with your guide.

If you haven't fixed anything up yet then I can recommend Ben Mugambi at http://www.bensecologicalsafaris.com/ who has led two excellent trips for my wife and I, is a great organiser and a first class bird guide.

I have lived in Nairobi since i was born and i would like to assure you that Kenya/Nairobi is quite safe.A rule like avoiding walking alone in down town Nairobi city during the night might be good.I get sick of how the publicity makes Kenya look unsafe, am new in Chicago and i think it worse compared to Kenya but no one says its risky.You will like birding in Kenya.Contact Kenya eco-bird guide association and they will give you a good Ornithological guide.Feel free to PM me should you need more information/clarifications.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back