• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25 (3 Viewers)

...I've never so much as looked thru the Curios! I've kicked around getting some BUT.... the 25mm and less format isn't the most used group of binoculars I have.
There are probably a lot of us here who would look forward to hearing your take on the Curio after trying them out. You've got one of the most simultaneously sober and experienced views on the forum, making most of your posts among the best in any given thread.
Personally, I think that you may well find yourself using a 21mm binocular more than expected if you happened to find yourself in possession of the little Curio.

I tried all the pocket binoculars and I don't use any of them because I don't really have a need to carry a pocket binocular and I don't care for their finickiness in eye placement. I don't use any binoculars below an 8x32 for the same reason.

But if I were to carry a pocket binocular, it would be one that is small enough to be truly pocketable, meaning an 8x20, since even with an 8x25 you give up a lot in comfort and ease of use IMO.

I tried the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and since I don't wear glasses the eye cups were way too short for the ER so you had to float the binocular in front of your face to use without getting blackouts or get aftermarket eye cups.

I tried the Curio 7x21 three times and twice I had the focusing knob come off so I question their build quality unless Swarovski has the problem solved by now and I really prefer 8x over 7x in all my binoculars because despite the popularity of 7x I find it too weak in magnification compared to 8x. I like the extra reach of an 8x.

If I were to buy a pocket binocular though, it would be the Leica UV 8x20 because I think it has the best build quality of all the pockets and I prefer the design of it over the Curio, especially the larger focusing knob and diopter adjustment.

Last edited:
Actually, the Curio 7x21 has a magnification of 6.9x, the Leica Ultravid 8x20 of 7.7x and the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 of 7.8x, according to measurements available at House of Outdoor & Optics. Like you, with binoculars I'm not just looking for a great view, but the greatest magnification possible without shaking hands, but each binocular has its uses. The Vitory 8x25 would be perfect for my use if it weren't for the fragile knob falling off.

There are probably a lot of us here who would look forward to hearing your take on the Curio after trying them out. You've got one of the most simultaneously sober and experienced views on the forum, making most of your posts among the best in any given thread.
Personally, I think that you may well find yourself using a 21mm binocular more than expected if you happened to find yourself in possession of the little Curio.
Well thanks for that!

I've started to get one several times. I'll keep a watch out for a good deal!

I suppose there is one that should be mentioned that competes very well with the entire lot mentioned.
The Zeiss Terra 8x25 is the one. For ease of use, more friendly than the fussy little 8x20's, and a great
value.
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back