• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa USA service (1 Viewer)

Jeff51

Supporter
United States
in the last six months i've bought two pair of kowa genesis 8.5x44 binoculars and a tsn 883 scope. i bought the binoculars in good part because i'd heard such great things about the scope and then i bought the scope because i love the detail and color i get in the binoculars. the binoculars replaced two pair of old nikon premier glasses. at some point with one pair of the nikons the binoculars went in one direction and the objective lens covers in another, never to meet again. and when i tried to replace the lens covers they weren't available from nikon anymore and i learned that a cover for one make of 32mm binocular wouldn't necessarily fit some other make of 32mm binocular.

hoping to get 15 years of use out of my new kowa glass i decided to get replacement lens covers for the binoculars and scope before the original ones either wore out or went their own separate ways. the sellers weren't very helpful and told me to get in touch with kowa directly. which i did.

so i got in touch with paul at kowa, telling him i wanted two sets of everything for each instrument, like noah -- rainguards, objective lens covers, lens covers front and back for the scope. oh, and replacement eyepieces. that adds up to a lot of small pieces. small parts not necessarily in ready supply with global supply chain disruptions with what's going around. paul said he had some but not all on hand. i said no hurry, wouldn't need the stuff for years. paul said he would send them when he'd gotten everything i wanted. i said i wouldn't bother him at what i knew were busy times.

few months later kowa was ready to send everything i'd asked for, without my having to remind. they charged me considerably less than, say, b&h charges for their replacement parts.

may never need the stuff. but my guess is i will. and when i do it'll be in a small box in the closet.

i love the binoculars and scope kowa puts out. and i'm a big fan of the way they support what they sell.

jeff

Last edited:
in the last six months i've bought two pair of kowa genesis 8.5x44 binoculars and a tsn 883 scope. i bought the binoculars in good part because i'd heard such great things about the scope and then i bought the scope because i love the detail and color i get in the binoculars. the binoculars replaced two pair of old nikon premier glasses. at some point with one pair of the nikons the binoculars went in one direction and the objective lens covers in another, never to meet again. and when i tried to replace the lens covers they weren't available from nikon anymore and i learned that a cover for one make of 32mm binocular wouldn't necessarily fit some other make of 32mm binocular.

hoping to get 15 years of use out of my new kowa glass i decided to get replacement lens covers for the binoculars and scope before the original ones either wore out or went their own separate ways. the sellers weren't very helpful and told me to get in touch with kowa directly. which i did.

so i got in touch with paul at kowa, telling him i wanted two of each, like noah -- rainguards, objective lens covers, lens covers front and back for the scope. oh, and replacement eyepieces. that adds up to a lot of small pieces. small parts not necessarily in ready supply with global supply chain disruptions with what's going around. paul said he had some but not all on hand. i said no hurry, wouldn't need the stuff for years. paul said he would send them when he'd gotten everything i wanted. i said i wouldn't bother him at what i knew were busy times.

few months later kowa was ready to send everything i'd asked for, without my having to remind. they charged me considerably less than, say, b&h charges for their replacement parts.

may never need the stuff. but my guess is i will. and when i do it'll be in a small box in the closet.

i love the binoculars and scope kowa puts out. and i'm a big fan of the way they support what they sell.

jeff
Hi Jeff,

I’m a fan of the Kowa Genesis series myself. I have the 8x33 and simply love them. They are my top small bang around 8’s. They are built like a tank ( more so for the 8.5’s). Optics are Great and this line are like hidden gems. I concur with your experience with Kowa. Bought mine in spring and I decided same as you to have a spare set. So I called and they said they were out of stock and would get me a pair out to me as soon as they came in. I never called after that , I forgot.and about 3 months later I get a call from Jeff, I believe telling me they did not forget about my objective covers amd they should be in next month. Following month I get an email with a tracking number and an invoice , no charge. Priority mail two days later I get another set of objective covers. That would never happen with Nikon I can assure you of that. Nikon doesn’t even call you back when you leave the messages.

just for your info OpticronUSA has a whole slew of objective covers that can work on lots of binos.

Happy new year.

I seem to recall that opticron USA or part of the facilities are closing and will be handled from Britain hereafter as of the New Year. Pat

I seem to recall that opticron USA or part of the facilities are closing and will be handled from Britain hereafter as of the New Year. Pat
Hmmm, it appears you know more than me about Opticronusa. Interesting you mention that , I’ve left three messages for them (the woman who I was told runs everything) with no call back. The outgoing message does say they’ll be back on January 3. Well find out.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back