• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Mystery - Piedmont North Carolina, USA (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I've been trying to put my finger on a bird I'm seeing a lot of on our feeders. So far, with no success.

It's a slender but longish bodied bird. Head is rounded, small to medium sized. In my perception of color, it's either a light ivory, or muted, dusty white. It has some dim slightly darker markings on it's back with the belliy almost white. Lighter in either case.

It seems that I see them when I also see House Finches on, or around, the feeders. This makes me wonder if perhaps it's an immature House Finch, but I've found nothing like it in my Silbey's guide, here on BF/Opus, Audobon, and/or general Googling. So, now I'm asking for thoughts and suggestions, etc. of what I'm dealing with. Anything you might have to suggest will be greatly appreciated.

In my "looking and searching", I came upon this page from Cornell's "Birds of the World" House Finch pages.

On this page, there is/was a picture of a female. The head of this female is very similar to these birds I'm trying to ID. The coloring and marking of this image is markedly different. I find myself wanting to think what I've seen are immature House Finches??

Immature house finch looks the same as adult female.
It would help if you confirmed the birds' overall size and bill-shape relative to known house finches alongside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back