• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (5 Viewers)

The swarovski scope ATC 17-40x56.

Having just one: NL 10x32
Having two: NL 10x32 + SLC 8x42
Having three: NL 10x32 + SLC 8x42 + Curio 7x21
Having four: add the EL 12x50

All 4 powers and all needs (for me) covered.
And of course a scope. No need for a bigger one.
Oh wow. All Swarovski. Some good choices in there. Those SLC 42s are something special. I think I like the SLCs better than the NLs or ELs.

Two is tough.
I'd definitely choose a pair of 7s. Either my UVs or FLs. Probably my UVs.
From my existing collection, I'd take my Trinovid 8x50s or my SLC 15s.
I kinda feel like I should compliment my 7s with a pair of 10s, but I don't have a pair of 10s that I'm really crazy about. Come to think of it, I've never had a pair of 10s that I loved. Maybe it is time to try a pair of 10x50s. I'm a big objective lens kind of a guy, so 10x42s never really did it for me.

Today, if i could only keep two (from my existing collection):
Leitz 7x35B and Zeiss 15x60 BGAT

OR

Leica Trinovid 7x42 BN and Leica 12x50 HD+

This two binoculars are on my wishlist, they seem like big fun.
Yes! The SLC 15s are one of the best pairs of binoculars on the market. Not real popular amongst birders, but I think they should be. I can hold mine plenty steady enough to use them.
And the 8x50 Trinovids are the most beautiful view of any binocular I have ever used. I bought them cheap from the big auction website kind of on a lark and they quickly became one of my favorite pairs.

Two binos? The Swaro AX and the Curio.
Scope added? ATC.
Per

This thread has run for over a year, so it's time to ask Reinier to answer his own question. Has it stopped, and where?

This (my quote) actually is the answer to that question. This is also my line up at the moment: CL 7x21, SLC 8x42, NL 10x32 and EL 12x50. Together with the scope ATC 17-40x56. I also have the trinovid 8x20, but I think I will sell it because I have the CL 7x21 now.

My first thought was: one pair of binoculars for bird watching and one pair of binoculars for low light situations. So NL 10x32 for bird wathing, since I do that pretty much only in daylight and I prefer 10x. This pair of binoculars has to be as light and comfortable as possible. I think a 10x32 is great for that purpose. The SLC 8x42 has an exit pupil of 5.25mm, so suited for dark woods and twilight/night.
I could have gone the other way around: 8x32 and 10x42, but then both woulde have an exit pupil of around 4mm and I would miss a pair with >5mm exit pupil. And in broad daylight I do not need an exit pupil of > 3.2mm. It's the weight that counts, when doing some hiking.

However, I am a 10x person and was curious how an EL 10x50 performs and found a good deal. I compared it with my SLC 8x42 and found that the SLC 8x42 was actually a bit brighter in dim light (although the NL's and EL's have a bit more spark in broad daylight, the SLC are just a bit brighter/more contrasty in dim light imo.) So I didn't see a lot of purpose for the EL 10x50 and found a good deal for an EL 12x50 as well. I decided to keep the EL 12x50, because I can hold it steady enough and really like the extra magnification. This is the bin I take with me when I do some serious birding and weight isn't really important. It's also really usefull for watching wildlife in open fields at dawn/twilight. (An SLC 10x56 would have been a contender as well, but the EL 50 is quite compact and lighter compared to the SLC 56.)

I like to have a pocket bin as well. Just to put in my pocket when I am wearing a jacket or hang on my neck without even noticing it a lot, when I am outside with my kids for instance.

So now I think, two pairs of binoculars is just one pair short. Three is sufficient in my case. If I would be an 8x person, two would be sufficient: a pocket bin and an 8x32 or lightweight 8x42. Being a 10x person, a pocket bin (in my case 7x21) an 10x32 and an 8x42 (or 10x50) is all I need.
The EL 12x50 is purely a luxury. Having four swaro's is a luxury as well, I know. It's not only about bird and nature watching, I became an optics snob as well. I am a swaro fan boy too. I actually didn't give Leica and Zeiss a lot of chance. The way a swarovski looks like (I like the green colour), the way it feels, the eyecups, the accesoiries, I pretty much like everything about them.

So yes, I am very happy with what I have now! I still feel some attraction to the Habichts, but that can wait. I do not see a lot of purpose for them in my line up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back