• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crete (1 Viewer)

ninjakestrel

Hi everyone,
Off to Crete in a couple of weeks, near Iraklion. Anyone been there lately, any tips, target birds?

Best Regards
The NinjaKestrel

ninjakestrel said:
Hi everyone,
Off to Crete in a couple of weeks, near Iraklion. Anyone been there lately, any tips, target birds?

Best Regards
The NinjaKestrel

I'm sure others (young Dimitris for one) will have more to offer, but was on a trip to Crete 2 years ago at about this time of year, staying in Stalis (Stalida) just east of Iraklion. Birding was just part time on that trip.

Crete's "signature" bird is the Lammergeier, indeed vultures of all kinds are its trademark. The mountains rise almost immediately behind the coastal resorts so you don't have to go far to find wild territory. In the olive groves and slopes you find the usual Med species (Sardinian, olivaceous, olive tree warblers, tawny pipits, shrikes etc.) I wasn't even looking for Eleanora's Falcon, thinking it was the wrong time of year, but found it hunting in the hills behind Stalis. If it's there it's quite easy to spot, being so slim. longwinged and long tailed.

Crested and (I'm pretty sure) Thekla larks, bee-eaters are easy to find.

BTW if you have the Collins guide it's quite difficult to make out on the maps whether certain species are found on Crete.

Quite a few bookshops in Iraklion have bird guides to Crete.

hope it halps a bit, over to the ones who really know.

Andrew

Edit: BTW don't forget to visit the incredible Minoan ruins too. Man can't live by birding alone...

Last edited:
Andrew Whitehouse said:
I'm not sure you ordinarily get Thekla Lark in Crete, Andrew.

Yes, wasn't really sure about that one - was going mainly on behaviour. Have crossed it off...

We tried the Lassithi Plateau twice last May for Lammergeier - had only one distant possible, but fantastic views of Griffon's and one Black Vulture up there, and Eleanora's seen well from the famous Windmills at the entrance to the Plateau (the taverna by the windmills get's busy with tourists but the food is good and the views fantastic!).

There is a valley below the windmills that you can access from near a pottery shop on the road from the coast up to the plateau - this gets you below the vulture nesting crags and gives great views of both perched and flying birds with little chance of disturbing them.

Other than that we had mostly the usual Med birds, Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow on top of those listed above, Bee-eater, Turtle Dove etc.

Stephanie Coghlan has written a basic but useful site guide which you may be able to get hold of.

Rob Smallwood
Sorry - meant to add that the Samaria Gorge is meant to be best for Lammergeier.
I was lucky enough to see a Lammer in the Samaria Gorge in 1992. It's on the South coast of Crete and is a hard slog if you walk the length of it in the backing sun! They do day trips from Iraklion and it's well worth going if you have the time. A good spot for Eleonoras falcon is(was) a small island reserve(cant remember the name) off of Agia Marina - just west of Chania. They are late breeders so may not be around there till July. BTW, I saw my first ever Eleonaras flying over Iraklion bus station! Crete is brilliant birding location and you wont be dissapointed. Good luck.

Rob Smallwood said:
Spinalonga perhaps? The old leper colony island.
Hi Rob, no it's not that place. I've had a look on the net and can't find it - it's a tiny island about a half a mile off of Agia Marina beach. It is 'famous' for it's wild mounting goat colony (kri kri I think they're called) sorry to be so vague but it was 14 years ago! I should add that it's a strictly protected reserve and inaccessable to the public, though one can view it from the sea

Last edited:
Rob Smallwood said:
Sorry - meant to add that the Samaria Gorge is meant to be best for Lammergeier.

I can't offer any up-to-date info (I visited Crete in 1984, 1987 and 1993) but I saw my first lammergeier near the head of the Samaria gorge. We walked from Xyloskala up towards the Kallergi refuge and saw the lammergeier once we reached the high plateau.

Also saw a lammergeier from the road across the Lasithi plateau (along with large numbers of griffons at a carcase).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back