• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crete - last week of Sept - too late for summer migrants ? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Hi

Planning to go to Crete for last week of September (20th - 27th). Will that be too late for the summer migrants, thinking particularly of shrikes, hoopoes, bee-eaters, warblers etc ?

Tony

Once these places get very hot, a lot of the migrants seem to disappear. So late Sept may well be leaving it a bit late, however there may well be other migrants passing through from up north!
I've only been to Crete once, during summer half term, so I'm no expert!

September gets good for migrants. See our website for some information on what species we have seen since 2006 in the "blog archive" section. You will also find more up to date info on our Facebook page Crete-Birding two others on facebook Crete Birdwatching and BIRDS OF CRETE, the last two mostly in Greek. Hope it helps somewhat, have a good trip.
http://www.crete-birding.co.uk/
ColD

I have pasted my Crete Summer report.
I am told Plakias is a good migration area.
There is a river which runs from the centre of town described below- described in the Plakias and the Gorge section.
Apparently this is a good place for migrants:it's certainly got the right habitats-also a top spot to see Griffon Vulture.

The WESTERN HEADLAND described in the Damoni Bay section looked a good bet for migrating birds.
Plenty of coastal scrub and rocky headlands to catch passing birds.
Best of luck!

Actually did more birdwatching than I intended and saw some good species.
Stayed at the Irida Studios which were clean,quiet and handily located for the town.
Plakias can be ferociously windy in Summer.When the wind drops it can be fearsomely hot.Not a good recipe for resident birds,I thought.
There were however three good birdwatching areas all within easy walking distance.

Damnoni Bay

The western headland was a great little birding spot.
There were resident Blue Rock Thrush seen and heard every time I went.
There was also a healthy population of Crag Martin in the cliffs above.
Four Red Billed Chough appeared one morning.
A male Stonechat was seen regulary.
Sometimes a Raven was flying around.
One morning a Black Eared Wheatear put in an cameo appearance near the cliff edge,
The usual flocks of Sparrows were around with a few Blue Tits
A Grey Heron was on the rocks one day and there was generally a Yellow Legged Gull loafing around.
A Common Kingfisher was fishing from the rocks on one ocassion.
On walking around the bay I saw another 2 Common Kingfisher.
We took a walk up the eastern headland and were rewarded with a Long Legged Buzzard,a Common Buzzard,1 Kestrel,4 Alpine Swift.8 Hooded Crow and some Barn Swallow.

Plakias and the Gorge.

Most evenings I wandered up to the old mill in the foothills of the gorge.The walk starts from the centre of the town
Like clockwork the Griffon Vultures always appeared around 6 p.m.Not sure how many were up there but the most I ever saw together was three.
Other birds seen here - 3 Raven,2 Common Buzzard,4 Red Billed Chough,1 Crag Martin,2 Goldfinch,Several Barn Swallow,the usual Collared Dove, Sparrows and Blue Tits.On the way back there was a Kingfisher on the riverbank
On Plakias Beach there were 2 Little Ringed Plovers on consecutive evenings.
A Common Kestrel was generally about with a few Hooded Crow in the vicinity
On the rocks there were 2 Shag one morning and one Yellow Legged Gull.

Souda Bay

Sitting on a bench overlooking Souda Bay we looked westward to the mountains.
There were more Griffon Vulture here than Gorge.
There was also an impressive number of Alpine Swift,maybe a speciality around these parts.
Common Buzzards, Ravens and Barn Swallows were also about.
I looked down and saw a female Yellow Wagtail below.
The only warbler I saw all week was a Sardinian Warbler in some bushes along the road to Souda Bay.
We walked behind Souda bay towards the western headland.Just behind the tavernas there were 6 White Wagtail with the usual Sparrows and Blue Tits.There was nothing on the headland apart from a male Stonechat and a Raven.

Last edited:
September gets good for migrants. See our website for some information on what species we have seen since 2006 in the "blog archive" section. You will also find more up to date info on our Facebook page Crete-Birding two others on facebook Crete Birdwatching and BIRDS OF CRETE, the last two mostly in Greek. Hope it helps somewhat, have a good trip.
http://www.crete-birding.co.uk/
ColD

Thanks ColD. Had already found your excellent website - it looks like the area around Chania is a good place to base ourselves ? Its really pretty scenery plus wildlife we are looking for and I doubt we will ever go onto a beach. Can you recommend a pretty quite village to stay at which ideally has a little picturesque harbour ......and no nightclubs !!! Is the north or the island or the south of the island best for seeing birds on migration in Autumn ?

thanks
Tony

Sorry for the late reply have been travelling.....

I always think North coast better, as they arrive . The island is large so things get lost pretty quickly.
Birds are starting to arrive , White storks a few at a site in the north

Chania to Kolymbari is a good area you can get to the mountains (Omalos) Agyia lake , Giorgopoli area , Akrotiri Rhodapou and Gramvousa peninsulas Deliana gorge, all within half hour drive.
I am reluctant to advise on any village in the summer months they can all be quite touristy and noisy right up to mid October.

Pretty picturesque harbour! most have small fishing boats along with the ribs and a few small yachts but I know of none that could be called picturesque.
A stop slightly inland may be better a scroll through guest houses via google in the Kolymbari / Malaeme area may be your best bet.

Hoper that helps All the best

ColD

Once had a fortnight's strictly non-birding holiday in Aghios Nikolaos, late Sept-early Oct 1979.
Enjoyed a Wood Warbler in the tamarisks on our terrace one breakfast time; and enjoyed even more a magnificent party of nine Great White Egrets that appeared from the north, but did not stop on reaching the coastline, just continued inland, no doubt heading for the south coast before the onward journey to Libya.
I'm sure the migrants are there to be seen, all the best.

Sorry for the late reply have been travelling.....

I always think North coast better, as they arrive . The island is large so things get lost pretty quickly.
Birds are starting to arrive , White storks a few at a site in the north

Chania to Kolymbari is a good area you can get to the mountains (Omalos) Agyia lake , Giorgopoli area , Akrotiri Rhodapou and Gramvousa peninsulas Deliana gorge, all within half hour drive.
I am reluctant to advise on any village in the summer months they can all be quite touristy and noisy right up to mid October.

Pretty picturesque harbour! most have small fishing boats along with the ribs and a few small yachts but I know of none that could be called picturesque.
A stop slightly inland may be better a scroll through guest houses via google in the Kolymbari / Malaeme area may be your best bet.

Hoper that helps All the best

ColD

Thanks col. We have since booked a villa near Vamos, slightly to the east of the area you suggested.

Tony

Thanks col. We have since booked a villa near Vamos, slightly to the east of the area you suggested.

Tony

Make sure you head due south then feom Vamos , Through Imbros gorge to south coast Bonelli's Eagle and Bearded Vulture. turn west towards Anopoli and Aredena gorge. Also east on the lower Frangokastello area. all good birding areas
ColD

The bee eaters were late migrating from here (Choumeri- mid Crete North coast) this year, it was well into October when they finally left. What is worrying for me is the decline in the Scops owl, there used to be a large population of them here. I am surrounded by old buildings, mature trees as well as numerous olive groves (who isn't on Crete!)- nothing has changed in the village house-wise, no new buildings nothing new that could of frightened them off and yet there is no sign of them- very strange.

Noticed the same in west of Crete , a definite decline in numbers this year instead of hearing many calling in the hills nearby, there were only c4/5 no changes here either apart from lower altitude farming practices

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back