• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia - Minca and Tayrona: what to do? (3 Viewers)

Thanks Niels. Eventually we need to decide what to prioritise. Maybe missing birds wouldn’t be so bad as long as the one we see are chill and we are too. we like to birdwatch slowly, missing out birds but taking it the landscapes and the peace and quiet. What I really don’t want is to be surrounded by 20 people shouting rushing to photograph a bird and taking a gazillion of pictures clicking in all directions. How to turn a perfectly nice hobby into another chore in my opinion.

Thanks. It sounds like the right thing to do would be to get dropped up there and walk down the trail back to lodge on foot. Without a guide then? We are terrible birdwatchers.

Could someone drop me the gps location of where the trail for el dorado starts from the ridge? I can’t seem to figure it out comparing the drawn map and google maps.
You can get a map in the lodge. I think you are trying to over plan to be honest - it is all quite simple. They'll explain it to you there.

If Breiner is unavailable you can try Christian Manrique but he speaks no English.

If Breiner is unavailable you can try Christian Manrique but he speaks no English.
When I contacted Breiner, he first told us he would not be available but that he had another, English-speaking guy he could send instead. Then as time approached, it turned out to be him anyway.

I would probably hire him on the first or the second day of your time there and then do the rest on my own if you prefer doing things on your own generally - my experience is that I get more out of the days on my own after having had the guide introduce me to a lot of the common species and in the case of our first day there, a lot of endemics as well.
Niels

What I really don’t want is to be surrounded by 20 people shouting rushing to photograph a bird and taking a gazillion of pictures clicking in all directions.
I don't think being on a 'big name co.' tour is like that, and hiring your own local guide is definitely not like that. Not in my experience anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back