• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change to Zeiss SFL 10x40 or stick with my Leicas (1 Viewer)

I have some good advice, if you are a birder... You only need 1 pair of binoculars. Full stop. Whatever is light enough, enough magnification, reasonable quality.
You don't need 2 pairs.
I mean… you don’t even NEED ONE pair. Despite the joy I get out of a close view, most of my IDs I get by ear, or general pattern and behavior from afar.

But, I certainly prefer and ENJOY having (1) a small pocket bin for dog walks and unexpected roadside stops, I ENJOY having (2) a 7x42 that I can stick to my face and dwell in the scene for long views, and I ENJOY having (3) my NL 8x32 on dedicated birding outings to be sure I don’t miss any field marks. I also enjoy having (4,5) some wide angle porros that live on a mantel or shelf by a window where I watch hummingbirds and bluebirds at my feeder - once watched a red-shouldered hawk eating a snake while sitting on my couch!!

I agree with the position that you do not need more than one all-rounder for birding, but nothing wrong with it if you do.

but nothing wrong with it if you do.
No, but there is a lot wrong with trying to influence, particularly beginners coming on here, that they need a different pair of binoculars for every situation.. If He / She is a birder, then 1 pair of binoculars are all you need, for whatever birding situation you find yourself in.

And if you have multiple pairs of binoculars, it's actually going to make you a worse birder, at least in the short term. Because the subtle differences in size, colour you are trying to become familiar with, you don't know whether they are down to the different bird species or different binoculars.

Binocular fanatic: have as many as you like.
New Birder coming on here for advice: choose one, and become a better birder with it.

I mean… you don’t even NEED ONE pair. Despite the joy I get out of a close view, most of my IDs I get by ear, or general pattern and behavior from afar.
This is a good point. Peterson's classic "How to Know the Birds", published in 1949 and still worth reading today, doesn't discuss binoculars. I suppose they became a more common household item in the 50s, even in homes like mine where there was no specific need.

And if you have multiple pairs of binoculars, it's actually going to make you a worse birder, at least in the short term. Because the subtle differences in size, colour you are trying to become familiar with, you don't know whether they are down to the different bird species or different binoculars.
I don't seem to have this alleged problem, and in any case it would be dwarfed by not-so-subtle differences (particularly of color) in reference photos and drawings, and natural variation in individual birds and lighting conditions.

Last edited:
I don't seem to have this alleged problem, and in any case it would be dwarfed by not-so-subtle differences (particularly of color) in reference photos and drawings, and natural variation in individual birds and lighting conditions.
yes, and size differences. There are a lot of variables, adding different pairs of binoculars doubles the permutations.
Just my opinion.

Poor Mungot. One question 3.5 months, and not heard from since. Forty-five posts later, I wonder if he got anything useful out of it all?
Everyone else appears to have had a whale of a time though, once again dispensing all sorts of advice and opinions.

Poor Mungot. One question 3.5 months, and not heard from since. Forty-five posts later, I wonder if he got anything useful out of it all?
There seems very little usefull stuff on most of the optics pages we all have different perceptions of optics.... bound too as we all have different eyes but how so many seem to have enough money to compare so many expensive bins amazes me.

There seems very little usefull stuff on most of the optics pages we all have different perceptions of optics.... bound too as we all have different eyes but how so many seem to have enough money to compare so many expensive bins amazes me.
The thing that always amazes me is how many 'answers' do not answer the actual question but just push someone's fave bin or current opinion. Otoh, let's be honest, inane questions like "oh please help me decide what bin to buy for my holiday" or "is the $3000 XYZ better than the $500 滚开" are pretty naff yet still inflame heated discussion. But even if a specific question is put, there is always at least one who spouts all sorts of possibly clever stuff, none of which answers the question though - just to show off. Really intelligent answers that actually adress the question come from maybe a handful of very knowledgeable people. The rest is mostly static ... with very little humour.

"The thing that always amazes me is how many 'answers' do not answer the actual question but just push someone's fave bin or current opinion."

Exactly. On the plus side, we've had a lot of killing, and slaying, and the ever-popular blue ring of death. At least we didn't get to the "orange crescent of consternation..."

The thing that always amazes me is how many 'answers' do not answer the actual question but just push someone's fave bin or current opinion. Otoh, let's be honest, inane questions like "oh please help me decide what bin to buy for my holiday" or "is the $3000 XYZ better than the $500 滚开" are pretty naff yet still inflame heated discussion. But even if a specific question is put, there is always at least one who spouts all sorts of possibly clever stuff, none of which answers the question though - just to show off. Really intelligent answers that actually adress the question come from maybe a handful of very knowledgeable people. The rest is mostly static ... with very little humour.
Thanks for the possibly clever observation. It really does come down to the question itself. Genuine ones that have answers are answered well here. Others like "oh which should I pick" are just bound to be dull and repetitive, and are unfortunately the majority. I suppose we would seem unfriendly if we just ignored them though.

"The thing that always amazes me is how many 'answers' do not answer the actual question but just push someone's fave bin or current opinion."

Exactly. On the plus side, we've had a lot of killing, and slaying, and the ever-popular blue ring of death. At least we didn't get to the "orange crescent of consternation..."

"Now, now, let's not bicker over 'ho killed 'ho".

Mike

I have some good advice, if you are a birder... You only need 1 pair of binoculars. Full stop. Whatever is light enough, enough magnification, reasonable quality.
You don't need 2 pairs.
ive just been reading this thread, & i like my watches, & it goes something like this
a man with one watch knows exactly what time it is , a man with two watches is not so sure😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back