• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannock Chase - Nightjars (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

As there are a couple of guided walks to look for Nightjars advertised on T'Internet I am assuming that they are around this year.

Last year the area around the Katyn Memorial seemed to be the best.

Does anyone have up to date information on where I should look from (that won't disturb the birds) - I cannot make the guided walk evenings.

Hi Rob,

Seven Springs/Abrahams Valley area has been good this year. Park in the Seven Springs car park (access along A513 opposite the turning to Little Haywood SK004204) and take the big track that forks off to the right. Follow for about 1/4 mile until you come to an obvious clearing. Stand still and enjoy!

Tom

Tom,

Many thanks.

Just a shame they are no longer on the local mosses here - it's not that long since they were common on Chat and Carrington Moss!

Tom,

Just arrived back from a magical trip - loads of roding Woodcock, a Fox cub, several deer and a superb Nighhtjar - just where you said, churring, calling and flying around the clearing.

At one stage it came close enough to touch - probably checking out the slightly luminous flashes onmy wifes trainers!

Thanks for the tip - a lifer for wife & son and only my second British record.

Rob

tom mckinney said:
Great Rob! Glad it went well.

I'll be checking the Manc mosses in future...

But don't bother with Moss Side, Tom. It's not a good place to walk around at night.

Good to hear that you saw them at Cannock Chase, Rob. I visited the area described at Seven Springs on a calm June night last year and didn't see or hear a thing, which left me most surprised as it seemed the perfect area for them. There was something screaming in the woods though which I can only describe as an enraged Chimpanzee. Do you get many of those in Staffordshire? Creepy.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back