• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blashford Lakes (1 Viewer)

RobinD

I've just been told I'm off to Bournemouth for work tomorrow. Is the Great White Egret still at Blashford lakes and if so whereabouts would be the best place to look for it as I haven't visited before? There looks to be several lakes to choose from...

Thanks,

Robin

Great White Egret info

I believe it is still there, if it is the bird that was seen at Mockbeggar Lake earlier in the year it will stay all winter. I understand it has been frequenting Ibsley Water.

The following link has an extremely useful map of the lakes in that area (chooise Wildlife Reserves and select from the map):

http://www.hwt.org.uk/

Thanks kevtubb,

Ibsley water looks to be the large lake next to the A338. Can the lake be viewed from laybys and does anyone know which side of the lake it has been frequenting?

Thanks again,

Robin

I'm not sure if it's there at the moment, but when I've seen it it's always been on Mockbeggar. There are two crude hides on Mockbeggar adjacent to the road, they are marked on the map on kevtubbs link. (Go to the reserves index and then to *Blashford Lakes* from the large map (PDF file) )

Ibsley water is viewable from a lay-by at the Southern end.

Just checked my emails and the last reported sighting on Hoslist was on 16/8/05 .

Last repoted on Birdguides 2 days ago. Either it can be elusive or I've been just plain unlucky having dipped about 6/7 times in the last month but it has been reported most days since turning up a few weeks ago.

Called in on the way back from Bournemouth this afternoon and tried first Mockbeggar lake as suggested but no joy. Then tried Ibsley Water from the layby at the south end, lots of activity including three Little Egrets and twenty two Grey Herons but no joy. Then tried the north end of Ibsley Water accessing from near the church and had fantastic close views! Excellent!!!

Regards,

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back