• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-necked Grebe??? Spain (1 Viewer)

Around 50 mtrs
Ok John, that is quite near indeed, I can't get that near here, lake too big and bird too shy.. I was looking at the P1000 cause of the amazing 3000 mm but I hesitate. What lens do you use with the Canon? Your pics of the Bee-eater in your gallery are very good, amazing sharp and colourful.... I see them a lot in Thailand but here there are only very few. Can you find them in England?

With the Canon 90D I use a Canon 100-400 mk2 lens. Would you believe all the bee-eater photographs you mention on my site were taken with the Canon SX50HS. Including the video. I bought the Nikon to replace the Canon SX50 for the longer reach for record shots. I wasn't expecting the images to be that great although ok for a record shot. You have to keep the Nikon very steady because of the long zoom. Video from the Nikon though is very good. If you look at the first Spotted Flycatcher video on my site (in 4K mode). That was taken with the Nikon P1000. Bee-eaters are very rare in the East of England. They are very scarce passage migrants. Leave a comment on my site should you wish to. Thanks for your interest.
John.

With the Canon 90D I use a Canon 100-400 mk2 lens. Would you believe all the bee-eater photographs you mention on my site were taken with the Canon SX50HS. Including the video. I bought the Nikon to replace the Canon SX50 for the longer reach for record shots. I wasn't expecting the images to be that great although ok for a record shot. You have to keep the Nikon very steady because of the long zoom. Video from the Nikon though is very good. If you look at the first Spotted Flycatcher video on my site (in 4K mode). That was taken with the Nikon P1000. Bee-eaters are very rare in the East of England. They are very scarce passage migrants. Leave a comment on my site should you wish to. Thanks for your interest.
John.
Hi John, I never heard of a Canon Powershot with 1200 mm. I used the G9 and G10 for years with an underwater housing for diving, I bought them second hand again and again for about € 100, quite good, but not for surface wildlife. Zoom was impressive. That SX50HS looks like a first bridgecamera with extended tele, and indeed, and those pics are amazing. But you wouldn't buy them second hand anymore right? I see a few for sale still, around 100 euro. Good for beginners... These Canon and Sony tele-lenses are expensive but necessary I guess. Would you recommend the P1000 in case of tight budget? I guess you use it next to the 90D especially for birds etc far away?

Hi John, I never heard of a Canon Powershot with 1200 mm. I used the G9 and G10 for years with an underwater housing for diving, I bought them second hand again and again for about € 100, quite good, but not for surface wildlife. Zoom was impressive. That SX50HS looks like a first bridge camera with extended tele, and indeed, and those pics are amazing. But you wouldn't buy them second hand anymore right? I see a few for sale still, around 100 euro. Good for beginners... These Canon and Sony tele-lenses are expensive but necessary I guess. Would you recommend the P1000 in case of tight budget? I guess you use it next to the 90D especially for birds etc far away?
Yes I use the P1000 for exactly that. My walkaround camera would always be the Canon 90D with the 100-400ii lens. As you know some birds are always too far away and that's when I pull the Nikon P1000 out of my bag. I also turn to the P1000 for video. I would recommend it for that purpose. If I were to only have one camera on a tight budget it would be the Nikon P1000. This is my own opinion. A lot of reviews on here would put the SX50 first for quality over the SX60 and SX70. If the P1000 wasn't around I would stick with my SX50 as a backup to my DSLR.

Yes I use the P1000 for exactly that. My walkaround camera would always be the Canon 90D with the 100-400ii lens. As you know some birds are always too far away and that's when I pull the Nikon P1000 out of my bag. I also turn to the P1000 for video. I would recommend it for that purpose. If I were to only have one camera on a tight budget it would be the Nikon P1000. This is my own opinion. A lot of reviews on here would put the SX50 first for quality over the SX60 and SX70. If the P1000 wasn't around I would stick with my SX50 as a backup to my DSLR.
Tnx man,great, good info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back