• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding kefalonia (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

I am visiting Kefalonia (Greece) in September for two weeks from the 19th Sept . Is their a bird watching club, ringing team or any local birders out their that could show me round the Islands best birding spots.

Where can I see Eleonoras Falcon, E orphean warbler , blue rock thrush etc on the Island?

Are their any good migration headlands and when are they best (wind direction)etc?

Any good wetland sites or good areas of Med scrub?

I have a little info I have pulled off the web though not much.

Hope you can help,

Kevin

Hi there Kevin and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your thread to the Greece section of the Forum as you are likely to get more suggestions here and have subscribed you to it so you don't lose track of it.

many thanks kc

Kevin,

We're going back in August for 2 weeks so hopefully I'll be able to let you know what we see while we're there.

There's Livadi Marsh at the head of Argostoli Lagoon which is supposed be worth a visit & Mount Ainos (sp.??) is much more accessible apparently. Argostoli Harbour is good for Loggerhead Turtles too.

I've booked day's nature tour with Outdoor Kefalonia (www.outdoorkefalonia.com) & we have the guide exclusively for the day so we can pretty much dictate what we want to see.

Richard

Hi Kevin,

Been back a couple of weeks now & had chance to put together a reply.

As we were on a family holiday that tended to take over rather than going out birding all the time and maybe because of that I didn't do the island justice. I normally go for a wander around wherever we stay when the heat's cooled down & have had some good results in the past. This time, though, I was disappointed. Maybe it was just too hot??

I had a couple of super early mornings at Livadi Marshes with hunting Marsh Harrier, Egrets, Herons, Stilts amongst others. Near the marshes there is the road to Petani Beach & I found a large flock of Bee Eaters here.

Mount Ainos is good to visit, but again I didn't do it justice. The 4x4 safari we did was excellent, but I think he's got a gap in the market as his bird species knowledge was limited. Great trip though & he took us on some serious off-road tracks :)

Saint George's Castle was good for Alpine Swift & Red Rumped Swallow as well as butterflies. The bonus being that the café nearest the castle does food to die for (especially the cakes!!!).

Have a look at my Flickr stream or Wharfedale Wildlife Photography Facebook page for images I took while away. I actually had more fun photographing dragonflies & butterflies this time.

Enjoy your trip. It's a place we'll being going back to.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back