• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best reserves and parks for Birdwatching? (1 Viewer)

ririhugs

Hi,

I will go in Peru in January and I wanna know the best places to see birds. Of course I'd like to know among those places so most secure and easy-to-access too.

I really love the mossy montane forest. Which parks include this kind of habitat?

Thanks
+++

Hi, Peru has many places to birdwatching, but we are in the rainy season now.

In the North, from La Florida are beautiful cloud forests, here you can try to see the Marvelous Spatuletail, then you can visit Abra Patricia (Royal Sunangel, Ochre-Fronted Antpitta, Bar-Winged Wood-Wren, Johnson’s Tody-Tyrant, White-Capped Tanager) this area is wonderful for many tanagers, hummingbirds and several endemic birds, down to Moyobamba is excellent to lowland birds, then you can take a flight to Lima from Tarapoto (2hours from Moyobamba) if you have time you can continue to Leymebamba (Endemic Buff-bellied Tanager, Gray-breasted Mountain-Toucan) then Cajamarca.

In the south, Cusco, you can visit Abra Malaga, excellent place for birdwatching in Andean Paramo, Polylepis Forest (Royal Cinclodes) and cloud forest.
The famous Manu Cloud Forest, (White-collared Jay, Mountain Cacique, Grass-green - & Golden-collared Tanagers, Hooded - & Scarlet-bellied Mountain-tanagers, Quetzals, Masked Flowerpiercer) in this place I recommend no less than 5 days, one of the best places in Peru.

Another great place is the Sanctuary of Ampay, a forest of Podocarpus in the city of Abancay to 4 hours from Cusco, great place to see endemic birds (Chestnut-Breasted Mountain Finch, Apurimac Brush Finch, hummingbirds and the best place to see Undulated Antpitta The last time I saw 4 and heard at least 20.

Machu Picchu is also an excellent place for bird watching, if you travel to see the citadel, a couple of days would be nice.

I've been several times in these areas during the rainy season, you can not expect good weather every day but with a little luck can make excellent check lists.

There are also good places in central Peru as Unchog Forest, Carpish Pass and the famous Paty Trail.

If you have questions, I will be happy to help you
Grettings
Steve

Last edited:
I travelled in Peru for two months this year and I really enjoyed my trip.

In january, I would suggest you to visit the Abra Patricia - Moyobamba - Leymebamba area for cloud forest species and beautiful landscapes. I think you have more chances of rain in the Southeast... but it is by far the best region for birding, mammal-watching and cultural sights. I am sure you would enjoy Manu road.

As for the operator, choose with care! Some are very comfort-oriented and expensive and others are cheaper but disorganized! I tried a number of operators and I would say that my experiences varied a lot! I won't go into details here, but all I can say is that some operators are overrated and offer average trips with average guides...

Good luck !

Peru

I too can recommend Kolibri Expeditions by personal experience from a trip in 2009. Also would go north (Abra Patricia, Cerros de Amotape, Tumbes, Chaparri Lodge, Bosque de Pomac)for less rain but still great birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back