• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Besra or Shikra, Taiwan (2 Viewers)

wuwu1277

Hi,: This photo was taken at mountains in Central Taiwan this week. I think it is a Besra, however a senior birder advised this is a Shikra because tail bands of Besra much thicker and not so numerous. I tried to submit e-bird checklist and found Shikra is rare for this week in Taiwan. Can you pls kindly advise the ID features for this raptor? Thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 50
Do the finely barred thighs point to crested goshawk?
Precisely, it is a Crested Goshawk, note 6 fingers (versus 5 in Besra and Shikra) and wingshape; short, rounded hand and very rounded secondaries pinched in at base Undertail shows 4-5 dark bars ML91272001 - Crested Goshawk - Macaulay Library Also note strong bill and finely barred thighs, feathering extending down tarsus mentioned by THE_FERN.

Last edited:
Has Shikra even been recorded in Taiwan before? It's extremely rare in nearby areas of mainland China, just reaching western Guangdong and a few vagrant records further northeast. The first for Hong Kong was only a year or two ago.

For the record, I agree that this looks best for a Crested Goshawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back