• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby blue jays (1 Viewer)

Dimples9991

United States
Hi everyone ! New here! My name is Mariah I live in south Florida. My mom recently found 3 baby blue jays knocked out of there nest on a very windy night. She made a makeshift nest out of an old butter container with some grass and left it on some bushes directly under the tree the had fallen out of. She kept an eye on them throughout the night and most of the next day and sadly mom and dad never returned for the babies. When she went to retrieve the nest one of the babies did not make it 😢. My mom is a dog lover but I’m an animal lover. She quickly brought the babies to me and I just want to make sure I am providing them proper care. They are a bit dirty as the bird formula my mom purchased kinda got all over the place. I’ve been dipping QTips in warm water and little by little getting them clean because I’m scared to get them too wet. Do they need a warming lamp or some sort of incubation? When should I introduce berries, worms, grain, etc? How do I tell if they are male or female? Should I be giving them the bird formula ? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

You may find the information here helpful.

Hi Mariah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Raising nestlings is a very difficult job and you really need to get these to your local wildlife rehab centre as soon as possible. Meantime you could try feeding a little tinned cat food (not dog food for some reason), use a cocktail stick at first. But it really depends how advanced they are on the amount of food and what they actually need at that stage. Live meal worms, caterpillars etc.

You do need to check your state laws as in some areas it is not legal really for you to do this, without at least contacting the rehabbers first.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back