• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Marsh and a Mere but no Moss (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

The son and heir has moved to the North West. We got time off for good behaviour from decorating, ironing and cleaning and took the opportunity to investigate new birding areas. Son and heir's pal is a keen birdwatcher, which is useful.

We got directions to Inner Farm Marsh on the Wirral. Turning the wrong way on arrival, we instead walked the adjacent Burton Marsh which has the advantage of ending up at the Harp Inn, a proper old-fashioned pub. Highlight of the walk was a very good view of Short Eared Owl, perched on a low bank . This was only my second sighting of this bird, so I was really pleased. Sightings of Kestrel occurred every few minutes There was a large flock of Linnets, with a few Bramblings mixed in, a Stonechat, a huge number of Wigeon, several Teal and a Little Egret. 30 species recorded in total, not bad for a couple of hours with two men who preferred being in the pub!

On our next day off we decided to go to Leighton Moss. However, heading up the M6 and into a traffic jam, we noticed the sign for Martin Mere and headed there instead.

This is the third Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust reserve that I've been to and I was very impressed. Star attraction was of course the huge number of Whooper Swans, which counted as a new tick for me. There were still about a thousand around. Other highlights included an apparently feral Red-breasted Goose feeding with the Greylags on the fields, Pintails, huge numbers of Shelduck, Shovelers, Goldeneyes. Away from the water, I was very pleased to see a colony of Tree Sparrows, a bird that I have not seen in the UK for about 5 years, and also a good number of Reed Buntings on the feeders.

I'm looking foward to out next visit to the North West (without the hard labour).

Pat

Attachments

• Goldeneye 3.jpg
    Goldeneye 3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Whooper Swan 3.jpg
    Whooper Swan 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Shelduck.jpg
    Shelduck.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Whooper Swan 5.jpg
    Whooper Swan 5.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Pintail.jpg
    Pintail.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hi Pat,

That's a pretty good couple of days out by the sound of it.

Don't know the places that you went on the first day but they sound interesting; pity that I don't go up that way any more.

Martin Mere I do know, used to drop in there a couple of times a year when I was up that way on business. Pleased to hear that they still have the Tree Sparrows, they used to hang about either in the tall hedges or just outside one of the hides. I you go again at the right time of year look out for Ruff; the best place used to be from the road outside the reserve, going Northwards (approx) and looking across towards the Reserve.

Also it's worth a look along the Ribble Estuary gong N out of Southport (the coast rd.). Look carefully at the LBJs, I've seen Twite along there a couple of times in Winter, mostly near the sand processing plant area. Going the other way (S) Seaforth is worth a visit. Still, I'm sure that your Son's mate will steer you to the right places.

Bill

What a cracking couple of days Pat. You turned up some smashing birds. Do I take it you turned up your nose at the thought of visiting the pub. Lol. If so, you must be abstemious and clean living like me. Ahem!!
I enjoyed both your text, and lovely pics. Thanks for sharing.

Baz.

Do I take it you turned up your nose at the thought of visiting the pub. Lol. If so, you must be abstemious and clean living like me. Ahem!!

Baz.[/QUOTE]

No! Any bird watching walk that includes a pub gets bonus points. My husband totally missed the Short eared Owl on the way back. I think the lovely beer might have had something to do with it.

Great couple of days worth of birding Pat. What a brilliant selection of birds!
Tree Sparrows are always a delight to watch. Well done with the Whooper Swans, you managed to see them in the nick of time. Another two weeks and they will all be gone.

What wonderfully sharp photos Pat .They are really outsanding.You really had a super time.I can remember seeing the treesparrows and twite a long time ago.
Don't get around much any more.........

maurice

hi Pat Good couple of days, you were bang in the middle of our area. If you do take the coast road to Preston look in at Marshside an RSPB site on the Mersey Estuary, nice hide lots of birds, ducks and waders to see, Martin Mere is superb isnt it, Mere Sands close by is also worth a visit a Lancashire Wildlife Site.

Good Birding Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back